Thursday, March 1, 2012

Closing Wisdom From Andrew Breitbart

A lot of people were surprised and saddened to hear that Andrew Breitbart, a well known publisher and conservative media personality, had died.  Mr. Breitbart will be remembered for such notable things as forcing former Congressman Anthony Weiner to come clean in regards to reports of his dalliances via provocative photos sent from his cell phone.

His book, “Righteous Indignation” concludes with the following paragraph that I found to be very powerful.

"I love my job. I love fighting for what I believe in. I love having fun while doing it. I love reporting stories that the Complex refuses to report. I love fighting back, I love finding allies, and-famously-I enjoy making enemies. Three years ago, I was mostly a behind-the-scenes guy who linked to stuff on a very popular website. I always wondered what it would be like to enter the public realm to fight for what I believe in. I've lost friends, perhaps dozens. But I've gained hundreds, thousands -- who knows? -- of allies. At the end of the day, I can look at myself in the mirror, and I sleep very well at night."

In quoting Mr. Breitbart, I’m not saying that everything he did or how he did it was right.

However, he followed his passion and let it guide him (or drive him).

He was authentic – true to his calling and his sense of purpose.

I often wonder (and have often written about) the potential that we would create on this planet if only we would follow our passion in the same way.

The people who have intention to carry out acts of hatred, evil and greed carry out their passion every day.  They don’t wait for permission and don’t ask for forgiveness.

If the people who have intent on doing good deeds followed their passion with equal tenacity, we would see a lot less evil in the world.

One of my favorite quotes attributed to Howard Thurman, author, theologian and educator, reads:

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive

John Ruskin, artist, critic, social thinker and philanthropist, had a rock on his desk with one word engraved in it.  It read:

Today

If only more people could put the two themes together to bring their potential and purpose into the light sooner, rather than wait for the perfect moment that never comes, then we might see the world develop in the way that we spend so much time dreaming and hoping for.

Not all of it would be perfect.

But since when has waiting for things to be perfect always produced a perfect result?

Create a great day for yourself and others.

In service and servanthood,

Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment