Saturday, September 29, 2012

I’m Not Dead …. Not Yet Anyway

I’ve received hundreds of emails from great people asking me if I am ill.  After all, my blog, after a lot of activity in recent months has been relatively quiet over the last couple of weeks.

One person even sent me an email checking to see if I had died and as I write this, it occurs to me that I forgot to answer it.  Ooops.

My recent weeks have been spent with a great client and when I’m not with the client, I am sitting in an airplane crisscrossing the North American continent and doing my best to accelerate global warming (the last part is a joke – please don’t email me).

But what really struck me were a small percentage of people who told me that I have a responsibility to provide them with content that matters to them.

I really enjoy blogging (and even more so, REALLY enjoy the responses my blog evokes). 

I write when my Spirit is moved.

I write to move the Spirit of others.  Whether it makes them happy, sad or angry, it evokes emotion that moves them to action or at least snaps them out of complacency.  Well …. hopefully.

I am very grateful that people want to see more content.

But Life is always a matter of juggling competing priorities.

A strong Life is one where we honor our priorities to ourselves and others while not bending to the demands of people who insist that we satisfy their needs while being oblivious to our own.

Other people’s priorities are not always ours, otherwise we wouldn’t be living our lives.

We’d be living theirs.

So I’m not dead yet.

I’m just tending to priorities.

How are you coming with your priorities today?

Are you living your Life or are you living someone else’s?

How do you know?

If you are reading this you are not dead.  But with each passing day, each of us moves one step closer to our end-of-days.

Let’s make the most of every moment … and do what matters in the order that matters in a timely fashion that matters.

Because everything you think, say and do ….

…. matters.

In service and servanthood,

Harry

PS I’m on my way to the airport.  Maybe I better answer that outstanding email before I forget again. Smile

A unrelated musing that hit me last night as I took a breather and reflected on “stuff”.

Those who haven't lived weep out of fear or self pity. Those who have lived weep with gratitude.

One other humorous thought in closing as I think about the email I forgot to answer.

When one sends an email asking if someone else is dead, I wonder how they would react to not receiving an answer.

It reminds me of a client I had back in the 90’s in NYC who used to write the following on every fax cover page she used.

If you do not receive this fax, please call me at 212-xxx-xxxx.

After observing this for a while, I asked her how they would know how to contact her if they didn’t receive the fax.

With a sigh of exasperation, she looked at me and said “Because I wrote my phone number on the first page”.

Of course, I thought. I had missed the obvious.  And with a nod and a smile, I walked away in silence. Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment